Carmel Magazine

Guide to Carmel 2019-2020

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 23 of 145

Historic Walking Tour 1 First Murphy House (Carmel Heritage Society): Built in 1902 by Michael J. Murphy when he was 17 years old, it was the first of more than 300 houses and many commercial buildings he would build in Carmel-by-the-Sea. 2 Harrison Memorial Library: Designed by the well-known architect Bernard Maybeck and built by Michael J. Murphy in 1926. 3 Pine Inn: It began as the El Carmelo Hotel in 1890 at the top of town. In 1903 it was moved to its present site and expanded. 4 Cottage of Sweets & Golden Bough Playhouse: The Cottage of Sweets was built in 1922 on Dolores & Ocean and was a loom shop. In 1923, Edward Kuster moved it to Ocean & Monte Verde to be a fanciful ticket booth for his new Golden Bough Playhouse. In 1935, the theater burned down during a play called "By Candlelight." A new theater was built on Monte Verde between 8th & 9th, and it burned to the ground in 1949 while showing, again, "By Candlelight!" A third theater was built there and remains today. 5 City Hall: Originally it was the All Saints Church. In 1912, Frank Devendorf, developer of Carmel, donated the lot to the Episcopalians, who had held services at the Forest Theater. 6 L'Auberge: Originally the Sun Dial Lodge and first apartment house in Carmel, it was built in 1929 by former mayor Allen Knight. 7 Church of the Wayfarer: Frank Devendorf donated the land for a community church in 1903. In 1940 it was torn down and a new church de- signed by Robert Stanton was erected. 8 Cypress Inn: Originally called Hotel La Ribera and owned by Dr. R.A. Kocher. When it opened in 1929, the local press hailed it as "one of the show places of the Monterey Peninsula." 9 Seven Arts Building & Court: Built for Herbert Heron in the late 1920s, this was the beginning of the Carmel Art Association. 10 Carmel Bakery & Coffee Company: It was built in 1904 and has always been a bakery. 11 Carmel's First U.S. Post Office: In the 1920s, City Hall and the Police Department moved upstairs. 12 China Art: Hugh Comstock designed and built it in 1930 as the Monterey Savings and Loan Bank, and Jo Mora did much of the artwork, including the bas-relief outside and paintings inside. 13 La Bicyclette: This was originally a pharmacy with doctors' offices up- stairs off 7th Avenue. 14 El Paseo Courtyard: Many of the tiles on these Mediterranean buildings came from Spain. The sculpture was done by Jo Mora in 1927, who also did the sarcophagus of Father Junipero Serra at the Carmel Mission. 15 The Tuck Box: Built in 1926, this was Hugh Comstock's only fairy-tale commercial building and has always been The Tuck Box. 16 Las Tiendas Building: Built in 1929, its stairway, tile, and grillwork are all original. 17 Palomas Home Furnishings: It began as Carmel's first dairy in 1932. The milk was brought in from Carmel Valley, bottled in the building, and then delivered. The original lamp is over the doorway and the original sign is on the wall next to the doorway. 18 Forest Theater: Established in 1910, it was the first outdoor theater west of the Mississippi. Carmel's one and only grave is there (an exception to the ordinance) – Pal, the town dog. His headstone and plaque are still there today. 19 Hansel & Gretel Houses: Hugh Comstock built these unique, fairy-tale style homes – one of which was used entirely to store his wife, Mayotta's, handmade "Otsy-Totsy" rag dolls. 20 Forge in the Forest: Built for Francis Whitaker, an internationally known ironsmith, the Forge's bar displays his original tools and many early photos. His work can also be seen on many Carmel buildings. 21 Fire Station: Built in 1937 of Carmel stone, it remains a fire station today. 22 Carmel Drug Store: This complex of stores was built in 1907. In 1925 the city passed an ordinance restricting the size and style of signs. All signs not conforming were removed. No one knows why the Carmel Drug Store sign was left – maybe to remind us what Carmel could have looked like without the restricting ordinance. 23 Carmel Forecast: It was built in the 1939 as the Bank of Carmel and features a bas-relief by well-known artist Paul Whitman. 24 Carmel Realty: Built in 1905, this was the site of Carmel's first city hall and police department in 1917. 25 Carmel Art Association Gallery: Founded in 1927, Carmel's oldest gallery features the work of local artists and is dedicated to presenting only the finest work for sale by artists living on the Monterey Peninsula.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Carmel Magazine - Guide to Carmel 2019-2020