SigMT

Signature Montana Magazine

Issue link: https://www.e-digitaleditions.com/i/1259963

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 87 of 99

SiG MT 88 From gnawing on shoes and furniture to canine curiosity and mischief, dogs are always geing into something they shouldn't. Chocolate, garlic, onions and grapes are widely known as dangerous to your dog, but Xylitol, a well know and widely used sugar substitute is more toxic to dogs than and of the fore mentioned. Xylitol (sugar alcohol) is used to sweeten a wide range of products, including sugar-free gum and mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, certain prescription drugs, dental hygiene products, some peanut buers and baked goods. While xylitol may be a healthy sugar alternative for humans, it can be deadly for dogs. A dog's metabolism is much different than humans as they are unable to metabolize xylitol the same way humans do. When dogs eat something containing xylitol, it's quickly absorbed into the bloodstream (usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption) and causes a large rapid release of insulin, which causes the pet's blood sugar (its main source of energy) to drop dangerously low, a condition known as hypoglycemia. Xylitol can also cause liver damage. e higher the dose ingested, the higher the risk of liver failure. Once damage is done to the liver from xylitol toxicity, it can cause necrosis of the liver, liver disease, blood cloing disorders, electrolyte imbalance and even death. When your dog's body is deprived of sugar, his ability to function declines rapidly and symptoms of xylitol poisoning will start to show. e first sign of xylitol ingestion is typically vomiting, but other symptoms may include any or all the following: • Vomiting • Diarrhea • Depression or lethargy • Racing heart rate • Disorientation • Weakness • Lack of coordination • Restlessness • Tremors • Seizures or Convulsions Immediate veterinary care is necessary when a dog consumes xylitol. If le untreated, hypoglycemia can quickly become life-threatening. Call your veterinarian or Animal Poison Control Center right away. PET HEALTH 101 TEXT BY DAWN MILLIGAN PHOTOGRAPHY BY REALLY MONTANA PHOTOGRAPHY This "sugar-free" sweetener, found in some human foods and dental products can be lethal to your dog. PAWS OFF XYLITOL

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of SigMT - Signature Montana Magazine